For the last three years, hundreds of birders crossed the Netherlands to count birds. The regional bird counts have provided a wealth of data. The data collected is an indispensable source of information for the government and the site managers
Assessment of the ‘value of nature’
With the Atlas database site managers will be able to assess the natural value of their areas. Do certain bird species or types perform better or worse in comparable areas in their region. Which species are abundant or scarce?
Quantitative data on the density and distribution of bird species is crucial for those in the government interested in nature policy.
The Atlas database contains essential information for the following policy frameworks;
- Agricultural nature and landscape management
- Provence biodiversity goals
- Nature value outside the ecological Network
- Zoning plans in rural areas
- Assessment framework for nitrogen